Wednesday, February 10, 2016

My Garmin Is Too Nice!

I'm sorry for seemingly falling off the earth last week.
 
Note to self.... Check the weather forecast before leaving the hospital. If it is supposed to pour down rain for the entire day then just stay put!
 
I didn't check.
 
The night after surgery was rough.  John spiked a fever and between that and his utter hatred of the cast we barely got any rest.  We were being discharged the next day so by 4:30 am I was a  bit frantic for some kind of sleep because I didn't know how I would handle driving home with no sleep for two nights in a row.


 
John was beyond ready to go home. He was mad about the cast and was missing his Papa and brothers. When he realized that he could still walk with the cast he was much much happier. 

 
Before we left we had the sweet sweet opportunity of meeting a very special young man.  Those who have been hanging around this blog since 2012 will remember him.  Igor on Reece's Rainbow
 
 
 
Joseph. We yelled. We prayed.  We raised money for him in our Mulligan Stew.  We yelled some more.  He had arthrogryposis like Aaron and was the same age.  We wanted a family for him so badly it hurt.

 
I got to meet him and his awesome mom.  Joseph is so much like my boys I can't stand it. I wish they didn't live so far away because I know the three of them would be best buddies. It was precious and amazing and way too short and I wished I had read the weather forecast and just stayed there on Wednesday so we could have had more time.
 
We left.
 
It was NOT raining when I pulled out of the Shriners parking lot.
 
Sprinkles started as we pulled out of Philly.
 
I was hoping it was just a passing little raincloud that would clear up quickly.
 
Oh how wrong I was.
 
It started raining when I pulled onto 95.  Serious rain.  The kind where you can't hear yourself think.  The kind where you are grateful for the drugs they gave your boy before we left so that he wouldn't want to talk to you because you couldn't hear him over the pounding of the drops on the roof of the van.
 
It rained.  And rained.  The Winnie the Pooh kind of rain.  The kind where you think your van is going to start floating down the road. 
 
I was so exhausted and tense and wanted so badly to just pull over and find a hotel for the night. I kept focusing on getting to one more exit.  Then one more.  Then one more. 
 
John needed food and a bathroom break so right outside Baltimore we stopped at a rest stop.  
 
Note to self....When heading HOME you go SOUTH.  SOUTH!!
 
I didn't listen.
 
I wish I had a Garmin that yelled at me.  One that screams out in a loud and obnoxious voice that I just went the wrong way. One that doesn't just sweetly and quietly recalculate.  One that LETS ME KNOW that getting off at the next exit is IMPERATIVE to getting home. 
 
My Garmin is too nice.
 
My Garmin is way too nice.
 
I didn't figure out I was heading in the wrong direction until I was quite a few miles up the road and 7 miles from the nearest exit.
 
I cried.
 
I cried and called Rob and cried some more.
 
John was in and out of a drugged sleep back there in the back seat for which I was deeply grateful.  I couldn't have handled a talkative little boy at that stage of the game. 
 
Between pounding rain, heavy traffic, getting caught behind a serious accident and total exhaustion, each exit threatened to be my last all the way home.
 
I passed a hundred hotels and each one was calling to me.
 
Home was louder.
 
Rob had supper on the table when we pulled into the driveway. I love my husband!
 
I am sorry for falling off the earth last week but that trip did me in for quite a number of days. 
 
John is doing great. His first outing after surgery was to a White Elephant styled Winter/Christmas party. 
 
 
 John gets the cast off next week.
 
Rob is taking him.
 
I am staying home.
 
I am most certainly staying home!
 
P.S. - The Pattersons are adopting again.  A sweet little girl with arthrogryposis who was left on the side of a road in a black plastic bag as a newborn because of her disability.  Break my heart!!  Look at her??  How could anything think of ever throwing her away???
 
 
Please consider sowing into their adoption.  Their process has been rough and I know they would deeply appreciate whatever you have to give to help them bring Vienna home. I was so blessed to be able to spend time with them and cannot wait for their little girl to be home and safe in their arms!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving words from kind people make our hearts glad!